Monday, June 10, 2013

literary crushes

Friends. I have read the so-far winning book of the summer. That is A Tale of Two Cities—Jess’ favorite book, and now at the very least my favorite Dickens novel.

I feel insufficient to the task of writing something spontaneous and spontaneously intelligent on a book of this magnitude about which I have no complaints. (That’s really all blogging is, isn’t it? A selection and magnification of complaints? Not always, but it’s easier that way.)

Instead, I shall diverge my new literary crush. Previously, Prince Myshkin held the spot. In fact, he’s remained my primary lit-crush for 4 years now, since the end of my sophomore year of high school (other contenders have included Tom Bombadil, Gilbert Blythe, and Winston Smit—oh just kidding on that one). But Myshkin has been met, and perhaps usurped, by Mr. Sydney Carton.

Swoon.

The man is intelligent, idealistic, and good at getting his way in the business world.

He is also smart enough to not press his attentions where he knows they are not returned.

He is also trusting enough to be vulnerable where he knows he will be cared for.

He is also PERFECT.

Maybe it’s a cliché. Maybe it’s why I like Myshkin too. But the sort of love Sydney Carton embodies in the novel… the selfless love that does not seek the reciprocated love of the beloved but only the good of the beloved… is so deeply rooted in my heart as The Ideal Of All Things. It’s a lot of why I like fairy tales; it’s why I like the Gospel (…or maybe I’ve got that backwards).

And Sydney Carton is just perfect. I don’t care that he’s an alcoholic for 5/6 of the book. When he holds the seamstress’ hand on their way to the guillotine, my heart immediately becomes his. And the most amazing thing of all? I’m not annoyed with Lucie for loving Darnay as she does. Even if I think Carton is all-around better, because he thought her love for him (or maybe just ‘her’) worth sacrificing his life, I have to give it some credit too.

I’m going to stop talking and just tell you to read the book. Read the book.

PS- for fun, a quote I liked:

A wonderful fact to reflect upon, that every human creature is constituted to be that profound secret and mystery to every other.

PPS- in case you were wondering, I liked the ending of this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment